LandSure Systems Ltd. (LandSure) is a technology-driven organization providing innovation, project management, communication, and technology services to the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA). A wholly-owned subsidiary of the LTSA, LandSure operates as part of a unique business model to support the continued growth of the LTSA and its services.
At LandSure we offer a collaborative and positive organizational culture that promotes challenging, innovative work in a stable yet dynamic work environment. Located in the heart of Vancouver’s vibrant downtown core, our bright and modern office is just steps from transit, shopping, restaurants and the seawall.
Reporting to the VP Business Innovation and CIO, the Senior Systems Engineer is primarily accountable for the successful systems engineering and on-going operations of our enterprise land title register and cadastral mapping systems.
The successful candidate has the right blend of understanding business operations, land title and survey domain capability, our customer needs, and advanced information systems and technology abilities. The successful candidate will have a background in system development or software engineering and will have experience with high-availability systems, deployed within an enterprise client/server architecture, supporting large volumes of geospatial data, business rules, and high financial impact transaction processing. Candidates must be able to demonstrate outstanding teamwork abilities, communication skills and enthusiasm for making the Land Title & Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA) a world leader in title registration, survey management, and land and property-based systems in general.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
This position shares responsibility for the system design and integration of LTSA’s mission critical technology that consists of web-based and client/server-based systems, and a range of custom-developed and off-the-shelf applications on a suite of mixed technology platforms. The successful candidate works closely with our technology partners to ensure that changes to the systems are suitable for business operations, well designed and operable for many years to come. The incumbent will also provide technical leadership to the organization.
The duties of the Senior Systems Engineer include:
- Full life cycle systems engineering:
- Problem definition: Analysis and development of capability requirements at the business-level;
- Modelling of business processes, rules, and workflow;
- Analysis of options, required system performance, and life cycle support;
- Definition of the detailed technical artifacts used to establish operational baselines;
- Supporting the system as it moves through development, testing, acceptance, and into operations:
- Maintaining the integrity of the design and compliance with the requirements;
- Assisting the test activities as the system is tested, accepted, and deployed into operations;
- Working with the project and operational teams to solve problems and remove roadblocks;
- Assisting the business areas with accepting the system and transitioning to operations.
- Advising LTSA business owners, where appropriate, of technical options, and feasibility reports for enhancements to existing systems, as required;
- Ensuring system changes are suitable for business operations;
- Participate as a senior-level technical resource interacting with the extended third party participants in the broader technology operation and support team.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or Applied Science, from an accredited institution;
- 10+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer with the full SDLC experience including time spent with one or more large, complex, enterprise class application suite.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven proficiency in systems engineering activities;
- Natural leader/ability to manage by influence;
- Establish and demonstrate ownership in all phases of the life-cycle for LTSA's enterprise software systems;
- Experience with outsourced software development using formal methodology;
- Experienced with high availability Linux/Apache/Tomcat/Java technology stack;
- Demonstrable application architecture and software development knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Practical experience supporting and managing large real-time online transaction systems ;
- Well versed with geospatial data techniques, management, and transformations;
- Experienced in provisioning electronic business services to professional and public sector customers;
- Ability to think strategically and to anticipate future organizational and user needs;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to adapt in a complex and changing environment including an ability to manage multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities, establish and reprioritize tasks, work independently, and meet deadlines;
- A lifelong learner who is constantly striving to develop professionally and teach/mentor others.
The LTSA operates critical systems that underpin BC’s private property market, civil justice system, taxation and Crown land management frameworks. Ensuring we hire properly qualified and suitable candidates is necessary for the programs and activities of the LTSA and LandSure. As part of our hiring process, we will request that a candidate supply certain personal information so that we may conduct identity, reference, education and credential verification, and criminal record checks. Credit bureau inquiry checks may also be conducted for certain positions. As a public body, the LTSA is authorized to collect personal information under section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).