Application Support Engineer
LandSure Systems Ltd. (LandSure) is a technology-driven organization providing innovation, project management, communication, and technology services to the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA). A wholly-owned subsidiary of the LTSA, LandSure Systems operates as part of a unique business model to support the continued growth of the LTSA and its services.
At LandSure Systems we offer a collaborative and positive organizational culture that promotes challenging, innovative work in a stable yet dynamic work environment. Located in the heart of Vancouver’s vibrant downtown core, our bright and modern office is just steps from transit, shopping, restaurants and the seawall.
Reporting to the Manager, IT Applications, the Application Support Engineer will provide support for a wide range of LTSA enterprise-wide business applications, systems and services. This is a hands-on role that requires experience in troubleshooting and correcting issues from system level down to individual software modules. Working closely with suppliers and product vendors, as well as internal technical services and support specialists, the Application Support Engineer ensures that problems are identified and resolved in a timely fashion and the overall availability of the technology supports the business users’ needs.
The ideal candidate will have a background supporting applications in a high-availability online business; a desire to grow and learn in an expanding, versatile team; and be passionate about continuously improving application quality and efficiency. Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, an ability to adapt to a complex and changing environment, and enthusiasm for making the LTSA a Canadian leader in title registration and survey systems management.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Support installation, deployment, configuration and troubleshooting of changes to software applications including planned/unplanned upgrades and patches;
- Identify flaws or issues in existing applications and instrument improvements;
- Create scripts, tools, programs and controls to measure, monitor, troubleshoot and improve performance of software applications;
- Perform problem resolution activities including direct analysis and troubleshooting of platform, operating system and application issues;
- Provide off hour, on call support as defined by customer business requirements;
- Support management team to set priorities, and ensure timely delivery.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent;
- Minimum of one (1) year of hands-on experience in the development and support of large, complex enterprise class application suite in Java/J2EE;
- Hands-on skill and proficiency in problem determination and troubleshooting techniques in a Unix/Linux and/or Java development environment;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:> Able to switch between a variety of technical tasks using:
- Web applications, services and webpage support: HTML, XML, JSP, PHP, CMS, SOAP/REST;
- Scripting: SQL, Shell Script, Perl;
- Products: Spring, Eclipse, Velocity, GWT, Hibernate, Apache, Tomcat, BIRT, Visual Rules, NimSoft, Liferay, Adobe Acrobat and PDF.
> Familiarity with typical development environment tools and practices (i.e. Subversion configuration control, continuous builds, test environments, etc.), and experience with JMS and web services are desired
> Proven ability in the following areas:
- Installing, configuring, updating and deploying changes to software applications;
- Supporting 2nd level investigations and troubleshooting applications to code-level solutions;
- Using Linux command line tools to monitor and interpret logs, reports and alerts;
- Working autonomously and within cross functional teams applying SCRUM and other agile methodologies;
- Developing modifications or extensions to existing open source components, libraries and tools;
- Reliably documenting daily progress on tasks.
> Solid deductive reasoning skills as they pertain to software applications, such as troubleshooting focused on determining hardware vs. software, application vs. operating system, network vs. application/systems, and patterned vs. non-repeatable problems;
> Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a highly motivated and adaptable team in a complex and changing environment;
> Able to manage multiple conflicting priorities, re-prioritize tasks, work independently and meet deadlines;
> High level of integrity and a strong sense of personal responsibility in accomplishing the organization's goals;> Passion for technology, software development methodology, and communicating, deploying and implementing IT best practices and procedures.
The LTSA operates critical systems that underpin BC’s private property market, civil justice system, taxation and Crown land management frameworks. Ensuring we hire properly qualified and suitable candidates is necessary for the programs and activities of the LTSA and LandSure. As part of our hiring process, we will request that a candidate supply certain personal information so that we may conduct identity, reference, education and credential verification, and criminal record checks. Credit bureau inquiry checks may also be conducted for certain positions. As a public body, the LTSA is authorized to collect personal information under section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).